Intermediate Studio 2019
Sync : social behavior and architectural language
We make buildings and we are influenced again by the buildings. Architect clearly recognizes the space and its function where he stands, and designs the building through architectural language. Architecture is the work of the public, not the work of the individual architect. Architect draws social consensus through architectural thinking that contains the spirit of the times, and reinterpret the program, not limited to the programs offered, and present directions to society.
Hyochang Park and the surrounded neighborhood are located close to city center, but remain as the outskirt of the city. They became the part of the city when railroad from south reached to Seoul station, and were developed with military base in Young san area during the Japanese occupation. After South-North division, the population increased with the refugees from North Korea. The neighborhood was developed with various residential building types and different lot configurations during the modernization era. Hyochang park functions as city park where various social activities happen. The border between the park and the neighborhood has the possibility of new type of programs.
This year, the studio starts with the documentation of the space and the social life. The documentation method is not limited in traditional architectural representation (plan, section and elevation). Students are strongly suggested to expand their documentation method in student’s own creative way.
1) Collecting and reading data from the past to the present
2) Selecting spatial spot and creating documentation format
1) Survey of social behavior in spatial spot
2) Understanding the relationship between social behaviors and existing programs
3) Creating documentation format that can
1) Leading the site documentation to the architectural strategy by creating diagram
2) Program and space strategy
3) Transforming the diagram to the architectural drawings